Help! I restart tomorrow

Questions I've received about buprenorphine, Suboxone, Zubsolv, and addiction treatments... and my answers.
just a guy
New Poster
New Poster

Help! I restart tomorrow

Post by just a guy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:05 am

Quickly. Been on Norco for 8 years. It got worse after car accident. 5 -10/325 a day. Then 6,8,10 and buying off the street at that point. Finally went to a “clinic” and found a “dr” who prescribed me suboxone 8/2 twice a a day. Worked awesome. Craving gone. Feel like the old me like I never took a Norco in my life. Problem was this guy charged $250 for a two week supply. So after two weeks I ran out. 3 days later I started to feel suicidal and within a week was calling suicidal hotlines it got bad. By week 2 I said screw it and took a single norco. And within an hour a felt much better. No suicide or negative feelings. I was probably within one day of killing my self. It was that bad. Well I stuck to one pill a day for a week. Then 2 a day for a week and yep here we are a again. I see a suboxone dr tomorrow for longer term script. My concern is what the heck happened. Has this happened to anyone else who just quit suboxone cold turkey. I’m scared to be honest. I don’t want to trade one poison for another but I felt normal while I was on it.

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help! I restart tomorrow

Post by suboxdoc » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:39 pm

First of all, take care of yourself. If you are feeling suicidal, go to the nearest ER and tell them how you are feeling. Suicidal ideation doesn't usually last very long-- and if you are prone to those thoughts, you must have a safety plan where you are taken care of until the thoughts pass.

There is nothing special about buprenorphine in regard to suicidality. Frankly, my withdrawal was also associated with horrible thoughts of demonic possession and suicide. Those thoughts are caused by low 'opioid tone', when the opioids you are taking wear off. Buprenorphine's properties make it a great medication -- provided you have access and you can afford it. Check out the web site naabt.org , where you can try to find a doctor who is more affordable. My patients pay about $65 per month to see me, and the medication is covered by private or state insurance. Plain buprenorphine is also very inexpensive at Walgreens these days, costing about $20 for 60 of the 8 mg tabs.

The usual process is to stay on buprenorphine for at least a year, and possibly indefinitely. Relapse rates are high, so if your doc pressures you to 'get off buprenorphine', start looking for a doc who is more enlightened.

Good luck!