Should I be taking this with an open or closed mouth?

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
ZenTrip
Power Poster
Power Poster

Should I be taking this with an open or closed mouth?

Post by ZenTrip »

So I always take my Suboxone film in front of a mirror. Mainly because it ensures proper placement.

However, recently I’ve been wondering if this medication is intended for use with an open or closed mouth.
If I keep my mouth open after placing the film under the tongue, I can watch as it dissolves.
After a certain amount of degradation, I’ll shut my mouth.

So my question is: would it be better to simply place the film under the tongue, and then close your mouth immediately while the strip is still as fresh as can be? Or is it better to wait a while, making sure to get all of the corners down and even slurping up any excess saliva that pools around my jaw?
rule62

Re: Should I be taking this with an open or closed mouth?

Post by rule62 »

Zen, I don't think it really matters how you take it. As I've stated before mine goes up between my lip and gums. That way there is very little saliva and it gets absorbed nice and slow.

Thanks for sticking around and posting.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously
ZenTrip
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by ZenTrip »

Of course!
Can you go into any more detail in so far as taking it between your gums and upper lip? As opposed to under the tongue or buccal administration on the inside of the cheek.

I’ve always wanted to try it the way your describing!
Do you put a whole 8mg strip up towards your gums/upper lip?
Or do you cut it into tinier pieces?
Have you noticed any difference between upper and lower gum/lip placement?

I’m sure many of us take Suboxone in front of a mirror to ensure proper placement. My question remains: how long should we leave our mouths open for? Should we wait for the strip to stick down fully and completely before closing mouth?
rule62

Post by rule62 »

I use the 2mg films and cut them in half. Most days I take only 1mg and others the whole strip. Never tried it on my lower lip because there is more saliva there. I lift up my upper lip and place it right above my front teeth. It dissolves very slow with very little saliva. I'm sure I get better absorption this way and don't have a mouthful of spit to swallow. Give it a try.
ZenTrip
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by ZenTrip »

I’ll try that now! Thanks, rule62.
I’m interested to find out if my 2mg piece of a 8mg film will be the same as your 2mg strip.
I’ll try placing it above my front teeth, in between the gum and lips. I’m surprised it doesn’t just slide down onto the teeth themselves!
Do you use a mirror to ensure proper placement?
I usually always place my Suboxone film sublingually under the tongue

Update: it didn’t really work..I’m sitting with it now.
Put exactly 2mg above my two front teeth in between gum and lips. Struggled in front of the mirror to ensure proper placement. Then I closed my mouth, and haven’t moved a muscle since…
I barely even notice it. I think taking the whole 8mg strip under the tongue sublingually is the way to go!
Are you sure you didn’t just want me to waste 2mg? I’d say it wasn’t even worth trying
rule62

Post by rule62 »

It's been working for me for years now. To each their own. And no, I don't need a mirror to place it correctly.
ZenTrip
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by ZenTrip »

Do you split or cut your film into smaller pieces?
Before putting them in your upper lip between your gums?
I’ve found it to be beneficial these days to take the whole 8mg film at once.
This is the same way we would have taken this medication the first couple of times we were prescribed it.
I know for me, I would place it under my tongue on the right hand side (as I’m dominantly right handed).
Doing it this way ensures the closest possible experience as when we were first taking Suboxone film.
rule62

Post by rule62 »

I am prescribed the 2mg films and only take half per day unless there's pain then I'll take the whole thing. That way I can stockpile enough to get me through a couple of months in case of emergency. All I do is put it up under my upper lip and gums a little off center. Barely even know it's there most of the time. It takes about a half hour for it to completely dissolve. Don't even think about spitting, swallowing, or anything else. I just ignore it and go one with life.

A couple of months ago I started to take my dose when I got home from work, around 5-6pm. Yes, my doctor told me to take in the morning so I did for over ten years. Problem was, I was always a little sleepy and thought it was just my age. Once I started taking it later I'm no longer tired during the day. At first what concerned me was maybe having w/d's but the half life is so long it doesn't bother me at all. Now that I'm thinking about it I'll tell my doctor on my next visit what I'm doing now. Pretty sure he won't care. By taking it before dinner it doesn't matter if I get a little tired.

Most of what I've told you probably won't answer your questions but it's all I got. What I found with buprenorphine was that the less I took the better it worked. (for pain mostly) Abusing pain meds never ever crosses my mind after all these years so the medication is still doing its job. My only concern is taking it for life. If I move or change doctors it may be a problem. Would hate to go through w/d's when I'm really old. May that day never come.

Please just try to find a schedule that works for you and don't think about it. Take it like any other medication prescribed for a health condition. We wish you the best in your journey through the recovery process.
ZenTrip
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by ZenTrip »

Hey, rule62.
Do you administer this medication via buccal route with the films or the pills?

I can see it working perfectly by placing it between the lips and gums with the pills. But I just tried this with the strips, and it didn’t seem to have any effect.

Both 1mg pieces were placed first under lip, like chew, and then buccal on the side of the cheek.
Neither seems to be as effective as relying on standard placement of film under the tongue

Sublingual administration appears to be most effective when dosing Suboxone film.
Pills are a whole ‘nother story, entirely

I’m pretty sure placing the film anywhere other than under the tongue would prove to be less effective
rule62

Post by rule62 »

When you say it isn't working does that mean you are still getting cravings or waiting to see if it has a euphoric high? Most members don"t feel it in their heads. For me, it takes about 1 1/2 hours to feel its effect. What effect are you concerned with? The medication is a great one for stopping cravings and patients love how well it works for that and also as a pain med. I've mentioned it before that I try to stick with only 1mg, but some days I have pain (neck unjury) so I take the whold 2mg film and then wait for it to work.

Not aure if I helped with your quetion. My opinion is to take it once per day and then forget about it. With me, I just feel normal and that is a good thing. IMO, the less you take the better it works. No cravings or withdrawal even at that low dose.

Hope you find what you're looking for.